Saturday, November 19, 2011

Style it up a bit!


               Style it up a bit.  That statement is one comment which was made to me early in my writing career.  Before I could ask about it, the professor was gone.  So, I took quite a while to analyze my paper.  I thought it was stylish.  I thought it represented the subject matter.
Bringing it to other students, they seemed okay with it, but then, I brought it to a library tech who frowned when I told her the comment.  She smiled.
“It’s not about the subject matter, kiddo.  That’s not the problem.  The problem is it doesn’t represent you.”
This took further analysis.  How a dry narrative on a boring subject supposed to represent me?  I was just writing about what I was required to write about….  Then it hit me!  I was writing it.  I was supposed to put me into it!  That doesn’t mean I experienced what I was writing about, but my style was missing.
Developing your own personal style is something your readers rely on.  That’s why, when authors change genres, they usually use pen names.  Would you want to read a love story by an author whose name is synonymous with mystery and suspense?  Of course, there may be a bit of crossover in the mystery and suspense novel, but if there was no mystery or suspense, it would throw most loyal readers off a bit.
Some of the newest novels I have recently read have authors who have truly crafted their own styles.  It’s an art believe me, and an important stepping stone to being a sought-after writer.  I bet you’re thinking there are no new styles left and you can’t reinvent the wheel or build a better mousetrap.   That’s just silly.   You are as unique as your writing, and your presentation will be unique as well.
Just remember that even if you adore an author’s style, it’s not your place to copy it.  You can tweak it a bit, spice it up or underplay it, but never copy it.  Your style needs to be your own.
So, how do you stand out from the crowd?  Some will tell you it’s the subject matter in your chosen genre while others will tell you it’s slowly developed over time.  I believe the second.  Just like anything else, you have to practice, practice, and practice more to master your skills. 
It you read early novels by famous authors, you will find they were still developing their styles.  Now, in later years, their styles are identifiable with who they are.

So my suggestion is to write, write and write some more.  Write about your personal opinion, then make the subject matter represent who you are as a writer.  For instance, as you may know, I love creating pictures in the heads of the readers.  This means looking at subject matter through the senses.  Things look differently in different light from different angles.  Just look at a still life drawing!    I incorporate my “slant” on how the “light” hits the scene, the moment the emotion.
              People often comment that they can be transported into my novels, they are the character they relate to, and they are in the season of my mind. That’s what I’m trying to consistently develop as a writer, and all good writers do that in their own way.    So begin to style it up, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment