Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Emotions



I wanted to talk about emotions for a minute. This year I really decorated the house to the nines because my granddaughters were coming for the week. I fussed with the “displays” I made and tried to capture the magic of Christmas. As this was done in different areas of time (mostly after my teens were in bed), I tried to have themes for the areas I decorated. For instance the front hall had a white mini-tree on a table which I covered with a white table cloth and then used red and white decorations and white lights. I used red candles and fake poinsettias to finish the theme of the front hall. I did a Santa theme in the kitchen with various mini areas with Santa Claus characters. I had a traditional Christmas tree in the living room, but did a lovely Nativity Scene on the other end, complete with angels and lights.  

Taking my creativity outside, I did a life size Nativity scene using an antique crib which still needs refinishing and three straw angels. The only doll I had belonged to my granddaughter, so I had to cover Tinkerbell’s head in order to make it work. When I was finished, I asked my teens what they thought. Here’s a sampling of their insight (paraphrased):
          "Mom, Christmas is about the smells! It’s the Christmas cookies you make and the cinnamon pine cones in the front hall. It’s the oranges in the dish on the kitchen table punctured with cloves. It’s the ethnic food for Christmas Eve. It’s all about the smells.”
          “No, it’s not! It’s totally about the hearing the Christmas music that constantly plays – even when we’re trying to watch television. It’s you and Alex singing Christmas carols along with the music and hearing your voice crack on the high notes. It’s going to bed to the sound of the wrapping paper and scissors as you wrap presents in the living room and yell for us not to come upstairs without notice. It’s the laughter that seems more prominent at Christmas time. It’s the songs we sing in church that make me feel so close to God.”
          “For me,” my oldest in the home explained, “it’s seeing the lights – in and out. I love what you did with the house this year, Mom! It reminds me of when we were little and had trees in our bedrooms. I love the house at night when we watch television by Christmas lights and we take long rides to vote on which houses we like best. When the decorations are down in January, I’m depressed until Valentine’s Day.”

I was amazed at how Christmas effected each of them differently and what they gleaned out of it. It made me think about my writing. I’m the first one to admit I get a bit flowery. I try to incorporate the senses into my writing to explain things in detail and make sure the reader understands what I believe each character is feeling. Some readers will relate more to a character than others. For instance, one reader told me she hates a character in my book because he has such a condescending tone it reminds her of her father. That’s good! I want the readers to relate. I want them to feel the emotions, just like my children did at Christmas time. It has to be real to the readers or why will they bother to finish the book! So I will continue in my flowery style in hopes that others will follow. I encourage you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment