Friday, January 13, 2012

Encouragement to write

My granddaughter just turned a year old..  I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting her yet, as her parents live over 2000 miles away and money is limited.  What?  A writer who is struggling?  Did you know in 2009, the United States alone published more than 288,000 books?  Very few saw instant success, my friends.
So why continue to write?  When I was a kid in grade school, I was very sickly.  That meant that on the playground, I didn’t do a great deal of the running around that most kids do to blow off steam.  I was the one with the dress and the pants under it that sat on the cement steps alone.  Sometimes I was joined by other recess recluses.  That’s when I began to tell my captives my stories.  Now these were very imaginative stories which lasted several days, sometimes weeks!  Of course, there was always a damsel in distress and she was always rescued by the handsome man of her dreams.
When I was in the sixth grade and was in the midst of what I thought was a very interesting story, one of the recess teachers came over to listen a bit.  When the bell rang, she told me she wanted to see me after school.  As I waited outside her classroom, I wondered if I could get into trouble for telling stories which I made up as I went along.  She called me in at last, sat me down and asked, “So what happens to the little girl?”  Of course, she was talking about the little girl in my story.  I must have looked quite shocked, but I answered honestly.  I told her, “She hasn’t told me yet.”  My teacher took a bit to recover and then replied, “Wow.”  After a brief staring contest, she whisked me out the door to catch the bus.
The next day, as I entered the classroom, I was pleasantly surprised to find a writing tablet and a box of #2 pencils on my desk.  There was a yellow lined paper on which the recess teacher had written, “Write it down.”
That’s when I first began to record where my imagination sent me.  It was – and is - one of my most favorite things to do.  As a matter of fact, little pack rat that I am, I still have some of my first stories.  Of course, these were not the ones in grade school, but the ones which I typed on my manual typewriter (how’s that for a generation gap).  They are simple in both vocabulary and plot, but still dear to my heart.
Like all things practiced, you can only get better at them.  What starts out like a school girl’s story can soon develop into something deeper with significance to your audience.  Frustration will find you as you write.  That’s a give-in.  It’s also part of the learning process.  Since it’s your story from your imagination, you can ask for help from others, but only you and your story can decide what fits and what doesn’t.  That also means you can make mistakes along the way.  Your “friend editors” will be quick to point them out.  Don’t be mad, that’s what you asked them to do.  As a matter of fact, don’t expect everyone you like that you ask to read your story to fall in love with it.  That’s just not going to happen.  Sometimes it’s the story, sometimes it’s the friend, but you will find that choices in favorite genres are as different as favorite food choices.
As a child, my friends asked me where I got the ideas for my stories.  I told them that I read a lot.  That’s what made me a good story teller and that’s what will make you a better writer.  I’m not saying you’ll revel in reading every book in your chosen genre, and I’m not saying that some won’t remind you that you’re “just a beginner”.  What I will tell you is that while you are writing and publishing your work, keep your day job.  This is an art, just like painting, acting, dancing, etc.  Because it’s an art, it’s also hard to break into on a grand scale.  But think about this – how many actors had first parts as starring roles?  That’s right. They clawed their way to the top by taking those smaller roles and becoming noticed.
So what if your first few books don’t make the best sellers’ lists.  You’re competing with hundreds of thousands of writers for Pete’s sake.  So don’t give up.  Do what my teacher told me years ago – write it down.  It won’t be long before someone asks you as well, “What happens to….?”

No comments:

Post a Comment